UPDATE: I have released the extension including source on google code with some changes.
Euler Gyroscope ANE on Google Code

I baked my very first AIR iOS Native Extension. It’s just an adapted version of this version from Adobe. Because in my opinion the data of radians per second aren’t really good to handle. So I looked into Apples API documentation and found out that there are Euler Angles in the CMMotionManager CMDeviceMotion classes. So I just changed a few lines in the Objective-C Code. I learned much from this tutorial Native Extionsion for Adobe AIR and iOS 101 by Liquid Photo

NSString *myStr = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%f&%f&%f&%f&%f&%f",
rotate.x,
rotate.y,
rotate.z,
motionManager.deviceMotion.attitude.roll,
motionManager.deviceMotion.attitude.pitch,
motionManager.deviceMotion.attitude.yaw];

[motionManager startDeviceMotionUpdates];

motionManager.deviceMotionUpdateInterval = 0;

And added these three parameters roll, pitch and yaw to the Actionscript Gyroscope Event.

new GyroscopeEvent(GyroscopeEvent.UPDATE, _x, _y, _z, _roll, _pitch, _yaw)

You can download source and final iOS .ane Native Extension file here:
iOS Air Native Extension Gyroscope – with Euler Angles

Be Sociable, Share!

24 thoughts on “Adobe AIR Gyroscope Native Extension with Euler Angles (roll, pitch, yaw) for iOS

1. Yang,HS says:

works very great compare to the accelerometer value provide by AS3! Thanks for ur ANE!

2. Torkiel says:

@Kirit did you find out deal with the sudden changed when panning the phone up & down i.e. the pitch affects the yaw ?

3. webfraggle says:

Hello

This is just a warning. I also have this warning with some native extensions. The App should work anyway.

Christoph

4. Jan says:

Hi,

I am receiving the follwoing error when building the app with Flash CS6@Windows7:

—————————
    Adobe Flash Professional
    —————————
    Error creating files.

ld: warning: PIE disabled. Absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) not allowed in code signed PIE, but used in _llvm_unwind from AOTBuildOutput-0.o. To fix this warning, don’t compile with -mdynamic-no-pic or link with -Wl,-no_pie

ld: warning: multiple L$start$ labels found at same address in __ZN9NetStream12DispatchProcEP10NativeInfo at offset 0x06C0
    ————————–

Any ideas what this error is and how I can avoid it?

5. Kirit says:

We’ve built the app and published to the AppStore but the only problem seems to be with iPhone 4 running iOS 6. Not sure what is causing this … are there any known incompatibilities? @theguaz is your app working fine on iPhone 4 with iOS 6?

6. webfraggle says:

Hi Luis

I’m very interested in your results and information. But for the next days I’m on holidays. If you want you can send ne an email. And if I’m allowed I can add these information to this article or to the google code page. Have you made changes to the code? If you want you can have write access to the SVN.

Thanks Christoph

7. Hey, i’m doing an AR app that uses this extension; and i succesfully created the app for IOS6, using air 3.4 no errors occured, but i experienced a huge lag as i added features to my app (transparent videos, stagevideo.AttachCamera).

As result of that i finally splitted the whole app into 2 devices, an ipod touch that has the gyroscope and informs to the other device of its orientation using RTMFP.

I would like to share thoughts on this matter with you. I have a ton of results and things to ask about this extension.

regards.

8. Kirit says:

AIR 3.4 has been released and it supports iOS 6 with these known issues –

After digging deeper this is what we’ve learned –
    We are using a Camera feed and thus to benefit from AIR 3.4’s ability to GPU accelerate it, we tried to use StageVideo’s attachCamera and found that this breaks the Gyroscope functionality. Maybe this problem will also affect those using Stage3D too? If we instead use the regular Video object to display the camera, the extension is working well with AIR 3.4.

9. webfraggle says:

Hello

I haven’t tested it with AIR3.4 and I have not enough time to do it in the next weeks. But, all the code is on my SVN repository and maybe someone else can do the changes. I will be happy if the changes can be shared and put back into the SVN and the extension.

My last info about 3.4 and iOS 6 is that it is only available on labs an it isn’t possible to publich to the AppStore with this beta version.

10. Kirit says:

We were building our app in portrait mode and realized that there are sudden movements when panning the phone up and down resulting in uncanny movement. The Gyroscope works best in Landscape orientation. Now, we’ve run into a new problem… iOS6! Has anyone else run into any problems with iOS6 using the native Gyroscope or this extension?

11. webfraggle says:

Hello Jordan.

I can’t say anything about the delay. It’s just like the example extension from adobe. I’m only passing the roll, pitch and yaw to the action script. So there are no x,y,z values.

12. Jordan says:

Hey Christoph, thanks for the wonderful extension!

I’ve managed to get it running, but I’m having the same problem as Richard, where the gyroscope reading seems to be delayed or sometimes not reading at all. I’m also having trouble trying to access the x y z values through the EulerGyroscope class, as if it’s not there.

13. Jackisgames says:

I cant get it to work, the EulerGyroscope.isSupported keep returning false
    And the update event is not fired
    Is there’s any sample project that i can look for?

14. Kirit says:

First, thanks to Christoph for this great extension. Euler angles are a lot more helpful than radians/sec :)
    We had a problem earlier, but thats resolved. Sharing as it might help others –
    Since the angles are returned in a range of -180 to +180 … it is helpful to add 2 PI when values are negative so you get a smooth 0 to 360. Now it works well.
    But,
    We’ve run into another problem –
    Does somebody know how to deal with the sudden changed when panning the phone up & down i.e. the pitch affects the yaw! This results in sudden movements.

Thanks for any suggestions.

15. Richard says:

hallo Christoph.. now i’ve got it working i’ve done a lot of testing using an ipad2 and 3. i’m finding both your gyroscope extension and Adobe’s returns very inconstant values for GyroscopeEvent.UPDATE. i’m not sure but it seems if the device is held very still when the app loads it works fine but if the device is moving around at the time the gyro is initialized it has trouble sending accurate readings. also, when pressing the ios home button, going back to the desktop then back into the app, the gyro also seems to lose it’s senses. would be great if this worked as well as the accelerometer does and even better if it was built into the AIR runtime by default. perhaps we get it in AIR 3.4.
    anyway.. would be great to know if you are having the same issues or if it’s working smoothly.
    just looking at the numbers doesn’t give much of a clue if it’s working accurately so i set up a looping background that is moved left and right by the gyro readings (rendered with the Starling framework, it’s very smooth).. so for example.. holding the device and spinning around in your chair will move the background. looks awesome when it works! especially scrolling several images to give a parallax effect. but not consistant enough to publish :(

aber vielen dank fuer dir information.. hoeffentlich es kommt mit air 3.4

16. webfraggle says:

Hi Richard

Congratulations that you have ist working now. And yes that’s it. The swc has to be removed from exports.

17. Richard says:

you got ipa-ad-hoc to work? i’m having the same trouble. seems for me interpreted actionscript works but translated not. is there something else that adt needs? -platformsdk or something? my ant looks like the following…

<!–

–>

<!– FOR DEBUGGING

–>

i’d really like to know how you got it not crashing on ipa-ad-hoc

cheers

18. webfraggle says:

Hello

I tested the extension only with ipa-debug (developer provisioning profile) and ipa-ad-hoc (ad hoc profile). Both worked very well. And yes test-interpreter is very slow because actionscript code is interpreted on-the-fly and converted to native binary code.

Hope this helps.
    webfraggle

19. marco says:

first of all… SORRY FOR MY VERY BAD ENGLISH
    I package an iOS app with the native extension for gyroscope (http://code.google.com/p/air-native-extension-euler-gyroscope/)

in this way

ipa-test-interpreter ALL OK

ipa-test iPhone 4s crash.

why?

Another question.

I monitor my app with Stats and

framerate is 60/60

MS is 20/30

memory 4.000 more or less

but gyroscope does not uptade values properly.

is it possible that “interpreter” mode reduces native extension performance ?

thanks in advance

marco

Hinterlasse eine Antwort

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind markiert *

Du kannst folgende HTML-Tags benutzen: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>